If you are uncertain about your major (whether you have declared one or not), know that you are in good company. It’s often easier to first identify the majors you DON’T want to do rather than just start out with the ones you think you might want to pursue. This step gives you the opportunity to eliminate majors in which you have no interest, allowing you to focus only on programs that are real possibilities. To make the most of this resource, be sure to complete BOTH elimination phases (instructions below).
Elimination Phase 1:
- Click the “Begin Eliminating Majors” link below.
- For every major in which you have no interest, click “Not Interested”. If you don’t know what something is, leave it for now. You will have the opportunity to learn about these majors in Elimination Phase 2.
- Majors you have eliminated will collect at the bottom of the page. You can unclick the “Not Interested” box at any time to add a major back to the list of possibilities.
- You can sort the list of majors by school/college, Major Exploration Group, or alphabetical order.
- You can save your progress at any time by filling out the form on the right side of the page. You will be emailed a link that will allow you to pick up right where you left off.
- Once you have gone through every major, save your list. You have completed Elimination Phase 1.
Elimination Phase 2:
- Return to your saved list of majors by using the link sent to your email during Elimination Phase 1.
- Click on the title of every major you DID NOT eliminate to view its Major Profile. Each profile includes best intro courses, career opportunities, related majors, TME Student Mentors, and more.
- As you do this, you may be able to eliminate more majors from your list.
- Once you’ve narrowed down your list of potential majors even further, you can reach out to current students within the remaining majors by visiting the TME Mentors page. This will allow you to gain insight into what it’s like to be a student in these majors.
- Schedule a meeting with an Academic Advisor or Career Coach